Learning Communities - EPALE Community Conference 2022
Learning happens in communities, builds communities, and helps them grow. A special focus on the value of a (shared) memory in building communities, and on the role of adult learning and education in this process.
In the video above you are able to watch the live streaming of the Learning Communities plenaries within the EPALE Community Conference.
The streaming is public, so no registration is required.
We warmly invite you to interact with participants and speakers using the comment section at the bottom of this page.
In order to do so, you need to log in on EPALE ► https://epale.ec.europa.eu/en/user/login
Don't have an EPALE account? Sign-up now ► https://epale.ec.europa.eu/en/eulogin
Different memories and war in Ukraine
I would have a question for all the speakers in the panel: In the context of the current war in Ukraine, what are the main risks you see in the interplay between different memories? Thank you!
Maija Meiere-Osa spoke on relevant issues in Latvia during these polarising times. Let's all have big hearts like the giraffe and open minds when conversating with opinionated individuals on recent events in Europe and painful national memories.
Nonviolent Communication Approach in Adult Education in Historic
Curious to have more details about the project mentioned by Maija Meiere-Osa?
Have a look at these two blog posts published on EPALE:
- An overview of the project: https://epale.ec.europa.eu/en/blog/nonviolent-communication-approach-ad…
- A touching reflection by Maija, on the impact of the war in Ukraine on her work: https://epale.ec.europa.eu/en/blog/maija-meiere-osa-keeping-faith-human…
Are you curious about the Non Violent Communication method used in the project, and maybe apply it in your work?
- Here you can find a presentation by the founder of the method Marshall Rosenberg: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GZnXBnz2kwk&list=PLPNVcESwoWu4lI9C3bhkYIWB8-dphbzJ3&ab_channel=joe.public
Here are some of the projects mentioned by Dineke Stam:
- Monument van Trots (Monument of Pride): exhibition exploring the the meaning of the Homomonument for LGTBQ+ communities: https://www.monumentvantrots.nl/expositie/
- Audio Tour "How do you mean, Harlem and Slavery?!" https://izi.travel/en/7b04-how-do-you-mean-harlem-and-slavery/en
- Mapping Slavery, which maps the historical places of the slavery past and heritage of the Dutch colonial empire: https://mappingslavery.nl/
And here are some hints, if you want to know more about the methodologies behind Dineke's work:
- Intangible Cultural Heritage: Wheel chart of sustainability: https://unesco.public.lu/content/dam/unesco/sdg/wheel-chart-of-sustaina…
- Arena Method: how to explore identities in an open way and through the method of identity circles: http://stichtingleren.nl/short-english-summary/
Archivio Diaristico Nazionale (National Archive of Diaries)
Want to know more about ADN-Archivio Diaristico Nazionale (National Archive of Diaries)? Here's its website: http://archiviodiari.org/
Curious about the museum of the diary in Pieve Santo Stefano? https://www.piccolomuseodeldiario.it/album-fotografico/
...and here is the website collecting stories of Italians abroad: https://www.idiariraccontano.org/
Any comment or questions?
Feel free to drop questions here, if you want to interact with our speakers!
Aline Sierp - the fundamental role of education shaping memory
To delve into the topics mentioned by Aline Sierp, have a look here:
- The Memory Studies Association: www.memorystudiesassociation.org
- The interview recently published in Elm Magazine, where Aline Sierp discusses the importance of shared memories: https://elmmagazine.eu/news/the-power-of-memories/
Some links on Vanessa de Oliveira Andreotti
To get to know more about Vanessa de Oliveira Andreotti’s theories and research, have a look at:
- her page on the University of British Columbia website: https://edst.educ.ubc.ca/facultystaff/vanessa-andreotti/
- Gesturing Towards Decolonial Futures Arts/Research collective: decolonialfutures.net
Role of art
I read you work in a collective that includes scholars, activists and also artists. What is, in your opinion, the contribution of art and artists to this process of transformation?
Do you want to participate in a face to face event?
To have a full overview of the national side events planned in 17 different European countries during the Community Conference, have a look here:
European Year of Skills and Key policies on Skills
Here's some of the initiatives on Skills mentioned by Manuela Geleng:
The 2023 European Year of Skills:https://epale.ec.europa.eu/en/content/commission-kick-starts-work-european-year-skills
The Pact for Skills: https://ec.europa.eu/social/main.jsp?catId=1517&langId=en
Council Recommendations on ILAs and Micro-credentials: https://epale.ec.europa.eu/en/content/new-council-recommendations-ilas-…
Links on initiatives mentioned by Sophia Eriksson Waterschoot
Have a look here, if you want more information on the initiatives mentioned by Sophia Eriksson Waterschoot:
The 2022 European Year of Youth: https://youth.europa.eu/year-of-youth_en
Erasmus+ Programme: https://erasmus-plus.ec.europa.eu/
To create your Erasmus+Space now:https://epale.ec.europa.eu/en/erasmus-space
The new Erasmus+ register to support Ukrainian refugees:https://epale.ec.europa.eu/en/content/new-erasmus-register-education-and-training-staff-support-ukrainian-refugees
Haven't registered for the conference's workshops yet?
Here are the workshops we have prepared for you.
Follow the links to know more, and register to save your place!
- 18 October 11.30-12.30: Community-based practices for empowerment: https://epale.ec.europa.eu/en/blog/community-based-practices-empowerment-epale-community-conference-2022
- 19 October 11.30 - 12.30: Speak your voice! Free your future! https://epale.ec.europa.eu/en/blog/speak-your-voice-free-your-future-ep…
- 19 October 16.30-17.30: Aligning skills and motivation for human-centered learning https://epale.ec.europa.eu/en/blog/aligning-skills-and-motivation-human… 20
- 20 October 12.00-13.00: Creative ways to engage people with culturehttps://epale.ec.europa.eu/en/blog/creative-ways-engage-people-culture-…
Ready to start?
Good morning everyone!
And welcome to the first day of the 2022 EPALE Community Conference. We are looking forward to starting the streaming in a few minutes!
If you are not an EPALE registered user yet, register following this link:https://epale.ec.europa.eu/en/eulogin
As a registered user, you'll be able to write your comments here, and fully interact with our speakers and with the rest of the EPALE community!
Have a great Conference!
Sara - EPALE Team
This is going to be an…
This is going to be an exciting next few days! Looking forward to it kicking off already!
See you tomorrow!
That's all for today! Be sure not to miss:
- the new Erasmus+ register of education and training staff for support to Ukrainian refugees: https://epale.ec.europa.eu/en/content/new-erasmus-register-education-and-training-staff-support-ukrainian-refugees
- the Community Stories initiative to share your passion and motivation as an adult educator. Hurry up, the call is open until 30 October! https://epale.ec.europa.eu/en/blog/2022-community-stories-initiative
- the 2022 User Survey, to give us your suggestions and help EPALE improve:https://ec.europa.eu/eusurvey/runner/EPALESurvey_2022
See you tomorrow for a very exciting day at the EPALE Community Conference! Take part by using the hashtag #ImagineEPALE