Campaign to End Loneliness and Age UK teamed up to produce the Promising approaches to reducing loneliness and isolation in later life guide. It considers what loneliness is, delivers a framework and provides a large number of case studies from across England. The guide considers different aspects to target to combat against loneliness, such as ‘Talking and understanding – identifying individual needs’, and applies various case studies to these. Regional locations featured in the case studies include Cornwall, Leeds, Gloucestershire and Yorkshire, among many others. The resource also provides information on foundation services, interventions, gateway services and areas for further development, including reaching people in ethnic minority groups.
Loneliness is a growing problem that can have a profound negative impact on mental and physical health, particularly for older generations. Age UK and the Campaign to End Loneliness hope that this guide will encourage individuals, communities and a variety of organisations to respond to the issue and improve problems with loneliness.
This free guide will be particularly useful to anyone working in the healthcare sector, a retirement home or as a home carer for the elderly.
You might also be interested in:
- Picture this! Wellbeing and older learners (blog) - EPALE UK Ambassador Cath Harcula discusses how adult learning and the five ways to wellbeing have helped her and can help others
- Campaign to End Loneliness - Promising approaches to reducing loneliness and isolation later in life (resource) - a useful free guide that includes a framework to help tackle the growing problem of loneliness in older people
- Active Minds Dementia Puzzles (resource) - Active Minds specialise in making games for people suffering from dementia and their puzzles can help them to engage and recall positive memories
- Mental Health Toolkit for Employers (resource) - enables business and organisations to develop an effective and positive approach to good mental health in the workplace
- A sense of belonging - family stories and family learning (blog) - discusses a project that encouraged parents to engage with their child's education by building story boxes about their families