"Orient Express. Beratungs-, Bildungs- und Kulturinitiative für Frauen" is a non-profit, politically and denominationally independent association based in Vienna (Austria) that operates a women's counselling centre, two shelters for girls and young women, a nationwide coordination centre against abduction and forced marriage and a learning centre.
Non-formal education has been an important pillar of the organisation’s activities for more than 30 years. Since 2014, Orient Express offers basic education courses for women with a focus on literacy, numeracy, digital skills and German as a second language. Creativity, motivation and joy are important pillars of our day-to-day work. Our aim is to create a space in which learning can take place without discrimination and where each participant experiences attention, recognition and encouragement. Together with the participants, we develop tools for autonomy and social participation. Our aim consists in fostering equal opportunities throughout counselling and non-formal education. A central aspect in this regard is the expansion of the participants' individual scope of action, in order to promote participation and social inclusion.
We bring experience in project implementation and management, developing creative learning materials and resources, expertise in gender and diversity, social research, quality assurance etc. and have participated in several Erasmus+-projects.
We would especially be interested in projects including the following topics:
- Adult education, especially basic education
- Gender equality and intersectionality
- Promoting equality in/through adult education
- Low threshold approach to digital competences
- Applying art-based approaches (e.g. music and drama pedagogy) in adult education
- Promoting learning skills (for persons with learning difficulties)
- Fostering resilience and trauma pedagogy
- Training of adult educators