Scottish Funding Council provide guidance on funding for upskilling 2019-2020
The Scottish Funding Council has provided guidance on funding for upskilling in 2019-2020. The funding aims to help universities and colleges provide better support to learners who are looking to gain new skills to facilitate a change in career, as well as ensure the nation is well-equipped to face economic challenges that require multi-skilled workers. It is intended that some of the funding will support the development of new materials and short courses, although some of a university’s existing materials may also form part of the provision.
The resource provides guidance on many aspects of upskilling, including developing a delivery plan, aiming the new provision at those planning to change careers, linking upskilling to existing interventions and considering the correct approach to accreditation.
Some specific sections covered in the paper include:
- Policy drivers
- Aim/purpose of funding
- Delivery of activity
- Course/provision eligibility parameters
- Course/curriculum development
- Funding allocations
- Monitoring use of funds / reporting to SFC
- Teaching subject prices
The guidance document is relatively short and easy to digest. Those who will benefit most from using the resource include university / college heads and education leaders, senior university / college staff and those who work in further or higher education financial and funding teams.
You might also be interested in:
- Drive value from your data in further education – recorded webinar by Capita and Education Technology Magazine (resource) – discusses the importance and role of data in further education, how it can be used to improve student and staff experience and covers the changing data and education landscapes
- Technology supporting neurodiverse students in college - maximising talent and improving retention (blog) – discusses different learning disorders and how students can have a combination, resulting in diverse learning needs, and also exploring the Do-It Profiler software that can improve learning outcomes
- Post-18 education 2019 Augar Review (resource) – the review makes recommendations for post-18 education in the UK and aims to improve the quality of apprenticeships, skills acquisition and related systems
- Small charities impact measurement guides launched (resource) – developed by Inspiring Impact and Impact Management, this guide enables small or medium sized charities to measure the impact of their work
- Universities and cyber crime - keep student and staff data under lock and key (blog) – discusses the fact that universities are more commonly finding themselves the victims of data theft and makes recommendations for arming against cyber attacks