Basic Andragogical Training for Prison Educators (BATPE) Manual
Basic Andragogical Training for Prison Educators Manual represents one of the intellectual outputs developed within the project Basic Andragogical Training for Prison Educators (BATPE) supported by the Erasmus+ Programme of the European Union (project ID number: 2018-1-RS01-KA204-000433). Coordinator of the project is Serbian Association of Andragogists (SAA) from Belgrade (Serbia). The partners on the project are Koinè, the voluntary organization from San Felice a Cancello (Italy) and Gebze Public Education Center (GPEC) from Gebze (Turkey).
Basic Andragogical Training for Prison Educators Manual is dedicated to trainers who will be carrying out the BATPE training. The BATPE training is devoted to the educators that are engaged within educational affairs within correctional institutions – teachers for adult prisoners. The application of BATPE manual should help trainers to equip teachers that work in correctional institutions with required competencies needed for educational work with prisoners in optimal manner. These competencies refer to: psychology of learners in prisons; didactics; communicational and social aspects; professional and soft skills development; planning and organization; and evaluation and assessment.
Basic Andragogical Training for Prison Educators Manual has the following structure:
TOPIC (particular prison educators’ competency)
THEORETICAL INPUTS: Short theoretical framework that explains the purpose and the essence of what a trainer should explain to prison educators that are attaining the Basic Andragogical Training for Prison Educators.
GOALS: Here is where the educational goals are highlighted.
OBJECTIVES: Here is where the specific educational objectives are delivered from the previously defined goals.
OUTCOMES: Here is where the specific educational outcomes are delivered according to previously defined educational goals and objectives.
EXERCISES: Here is where the names of the exercises referring each defined educational outcome are inputted.
In this part firstly the purpose of the exercise is explained and then other relevant elements needed by trainers for successful carrying out the particular exercise. These elements are:
1. Instruction: Detailed description of what trainers should tell to the prison educators attaining BATPE training in terms of their adequate instruction for the particular exercise;
2. Realization: Detailed description of the process of realization of the particular exercise;
3. Elaboration: Reflection on realized exercise – asking questions, starting dialogue, raise new questions and dilemmas about the topic etc.;
4. Integration: Based on the realization and elaboration in this phase of exercise the main conclusions are delivered and the exercise is being closed;
5. Materials for the exercise: Description of the materials needed by trainers and participants for the successful realization of the exercise;
6. Methods: Listing the teaching methods that were used during the realization of the particular exercise;
7. Duration: Optimal duration of the exercise whit having in mind that each competency is developed in maximum of 180 working minutes;
8. Optimal number of participants in the exercise.
DURATION: Here is where the duration of each activity is highlighted.
EVALUATION (of the results and of the process): This sequence is realized after the whole training part (topic or cycle) is realized.