Senior Volunteers for Migrant Integration(link is external) is a two-year EU project focusing on the role of senior volunteers in the integration of migrants and refugees.
Launched in October 2017 the initiative is supported by the European Commission under the Erasmus+ programme. It is implemented by a consortium of four partner organisations from Lithuania, Finland, France, Germany and Greece.
The project is aimed at fostering the development of social, civic, intercultural, volunteering competences of elderly people and migrants and refugees by providing the representatives of both target groups with unique opportunities to integrate and reintegrate into the society, and at the same time providing mutual support to each other and to the society.
Main goals of the project are:
- to contribute to the successful integration of migrants and/or refugees into the host societies with the help of seniors;
- to tackle the social exclusion of older people through volunteering services to migrants.
To accomplish the project goals the partners will undertake the following objectives:
- strengthening senior volunteers’ active citizenship and volunteering skills through training based on the training programme developed by the partnership;
- enhancing host country language learning and the orientation process of migrants and refugees through the provision of a developed social and civic integration tool–guide for migrants (App) as well as offering teaching and mentoring support by the trained senior volunteers;
- raising public awareness on the issues related to migration and aging societies.
Expected results that will be achieved:
- Methodology and a 20 hour training programme consisting of 5 modules for senior volunteers providing support for migrant and refugee integration.
- Training material for teaching senior volunteers.
- Social and civic integration tool – guide for migrants and refugees in App format available for free download: helping them to acquire basic knowledge and understanding about the host country's sociocultural life; containing a basic conversation kit with animation in partner languages and English.
- Exploitation – contact seminars in each partner country to demonstrate the practical use of a Mobile application (App) and the senior volunteers’ training program to relevant stakeholders and to establish a connection between service providers - trained senior volunteers and potential "clients"- migrants and/or refugees as well as representatives of organizations providing services for migrants.
- Final international conference for representatives of the organisations working in the field of refugee and migrant integration, civic society, active aging, education.
The partnership started working on the development of the methodology and training programme for senior volunteers providing support for migrant and refugee integration. At this point in time, the partners are currently conducting surveys in each partner country in order to define learning needs of senior volunteers.
The programme will be implemented in each partner country: later in 2018, all partner organisations will invite seniors to become learners once again!
Senior Volunteers for Migrant Integration(link is external) is going to implement a lot of interesting activities, to create useful outputs. To learn more and to stay tuned please visit as at www.seniors4migrants.eu(link is external).