HEURA is a Spanish association founded with the main aim of promoting women managing capacity and initiative. Therefore, on one hand, HEURA has the function of providing support to all activities made by women; on the other hand, it offers a wide range of cultural activities, trying to cover the lack of most of these activities among wide sectors of population, especially women of the neighbourhood in which Heura is placed.
Heura has a women group that gathers once a month to discuss topics that the women in the group consider relevant, and to organize activities for the school and for the neighbourhood. Moreover, the School for Adults at La Verneda-Sant Martí, which Heura manages, has been the first to implement Feminist Dialogic Gatherings since January 2019, where women are reading texts from authors like Bell Hooks or Lidia Puigvert.
Heura’s goals are:
- To provide a wide range of activities than can answer the diverse educational and cultural needs of women.
- To create spaces for participation and public debate.
- To make available tools that can help women to change from being consumers to cultural creators.
- To promote the development of the community, jointly with other local organizations.
- To fight against any sort of social inequality, promoting dialogue and solidarity.
Asides from various local projects, some of the European projects Heura has participated on are::
- Intercultural Dialogue on Violence against Women (2007-2008).
- European Women. Images of Interaction (2003-2005). Socrates Programme: Grundtvig-2.