Education is a fundamental human right for the exercise of all other human rights. Education promotes individual freedom and empowerment and helps people’s personal development. However, millions of adults are still deprived of educational opportunities as a result of poverty or social marginalisation.
“Education is a powerful tool by which economically and socially marginalised adults and children can lift themselves out of poverty and participate fully as citizens.”
Social inclusion and personal empowerment through adult learning are matters EPALE deeply cares about.
Take a look at some of our content on these topics:
- Interested in how European projects are supporting the integration of migrants and women's empowerment? Take a look at some examples here and here.
- The European Centre for the Development of Vocational Training (CEDEFOP) has produced a guidance document for integrating migrants into the labour market.
- What can adult education learn from school-based research into diversity? Find out here.
- Find out why multilingualism is such a fundamental part of a multicultural society - from a man who speaks 11 languages.
- Finally, read our long form article on what effect the refugee crisis is having on adult learning, and what some European countries are doing to use education to support inclusion and tolerance.