Inclusive sports and personal development for young people with intellectual disability
The overall objective of the project is to improve the skills of young people with intellectual disability through sports practice. The competences we want to enhance are: self-esteem, emotion management, perseverance and discipline, patience, decision making and autonomy.
The disciplines chosen are surfing, sport climbing and horse riding, sports that require for their practice the development of the aforementioned competences.
The personal development of young people with intellectual disabilities will improve their ability to face new challenges and situations, facilitate their permanence in the education system by improving school results and facilitate their transition to employment.
Target group: Young people with intellectual disabilities, from 14 to 18 years of age, students enrolled in educational centres for people with intellectual disability.
Objective: Provide tools and methods for personal development of young people with intellectual disability.
1.- Development of an adapted methodology in each of the sports specialties (surfing, climbing, skateboarding). Intellectual product O1.
- Methodological adaptations to train young people with intellectual disability in each of the sports disciplines. This requires the cooperation of experts / organizations in each of the sports and training disciplines of young people with intellectual disability.
- Methodological development for skills training through sports practice. It requires the cooperation of experts in soft skills development and personal development; in each of the sports and training disciplines of young people with intellectual disability.
The methodological developments would be completed with 3 youth exchanges at transnational level to test the methodology. It would work with a small group, about 5/6 young people per participating school, throughout the entire project. Total: 18 young people from three different countries. The meetings to test the methodological developments are considered as short-term training activities (4/5 days).
Completed with Erasmus+ Virtual Exchange, beyond the sport practice.
2.- Training of professionals (sport monitors) to enable them to work with young people with intellectual disability. Training as young people with intellectual disability sports monitors in the respective sport specialties. Design and development of a training action, intellectual product O2, proven at the transnational level (professional training exchanges).
- Partner that provides adequate facilities and human resources (monitors) for the practice of sport climbing.
- Two educational centers or especial educational centers that work with young people with intellectual disabilities.
- Organization that provides support for methodological and training developments.
Project duration: 18 months
Please, contact us just if you fit the partners criteria and mention the role you want to play in the partnership. Mail: firstname.lastname@example.org