Professional Standards Review, New 2014 professional standards for teachers and trainers in England
The 2014 professional standards define the professional requirements of teachers, trainers and tutors of post 16 learners, and underpin good teaching practice in the sector. This includes describing the skills, knowledge, values and attributes of those individuals.
The intended audience for the 2014 standards are:
- Teachers and trainers of post-16 learners working in further education colleges (excluding sixth form colleges), the community, commercial and charitable organisations, industry, the armed and uniformed services, prisons/offender learning and other public sector organisations
- Their employers
The 2014 professional standards:
- Set out clear expectations of effective practice in education and training
- Enable teachers and trainers to identify areas for their own professional development
- Support initial teacher education
- Provide a national reference point that organisations can use to support the development of their staff.