One year ago the De Facto team started a unique and ambitious project - to define a framework, a new playing field, of mis- and disinformation and their occurence, role and function in education and training contexts.
We have now built this robust framework where we explore, place and connect content, domains and relationships.
- Disinformation content types (upgrade from previously existing model)
- Disinformation categories (fully-redesigned domain)
- Information mediums or information carriers (entirely new domain)
- Source of intent for creating/spreading mis- and disinformation (entirely new domain)
- Education-related layers & harm potential of content types (entirely new domain)
- The Eggshell Model for establishing information credibility (new model)
- Practical examples (a curated repository of mis- and disinformation examples)
You may find all of these sections in detail at https://defacto.space/results-documents-and-tools/(link is external).
What’s next, you might ask? De Facto is a project which brings scientific knowledge to education and training professionals. Using insights from the domain of Cognitive Science, we are producing -- and this work is at an advanced stage at the moment -- a vast collection of fully-developed and carefully-scripted case studies, split into building blocks to be used individually or in combination. Along with the case studies, we are working on two gamified tools - an analog board game and a digital algorithm on identifying disinformation and manipulation attempts.
We are also developing a practical kit on producing disinformation to help learners fill temporarily the role of professional manipulators and raise their awareness of the methods which are most commonly used in campaigns -- or individual attempts -- which create, manipulate or misrepresent information to achieve a wide spectrum of gains or advantages.
You may find more about our approach, the science base of our work, the current progress, a collection of similar initiatives and topical publications by our team at https://defacto.space(link is external).