Breaking Barriers is a project that tackles the question of how digital tools can met the need of low-skilled adult learners. This is done through the strategic collaboration of 8 European partners specialised in adult learning, education and digital media. The project aims to explore and show how adult educators can engage and motivate adult learners by using digital tools and storytelling. As part of its activities, job shadowing has been organised by the University College London, Institute of Education.
The job shadowing participants
Yannis Stephanou (CY) - worked for many years in technology and now he’s involved in getting technology into education both in class and distance learning.
Giulia Augusto (IT) - interested in anything that has to do with digital tools that may be used in the classroom.
Claudia Gioacchini (IT) – a teacher who is planning to start a new job. She has obtained a Masters on lifelong learning.
Enrica Gioacchini (IT) – has been working with adults for the past three years. She is intrested in lifelong learning and using technology in education.
Cathy Wielema (NL) – is an English teacher in a vocational school for persons 16+ and older. She understand people’s problems in trying to work with digital tools and that’s why she would like to learn more about it.
Snezhana Danilovska (MK) – is an English teacher who works with Alliance for Development of Adult Education where English courses are needed. English is obligatory for finding a job. She also does interpretation and translations.
Maja Peroska (MK) – is a journalist. She will inform the public about the activities that people and organisations do.
Christianne Fenech (MT) – coordinates the EU Agenda for Adult Learning project and the Breaking Barriers project with the Directorate for Lifelong Learning within the Ministry for Education and Employment.
Mahira Sheikh Mifsud (MT) - coordinates the Electronic Platform for Adult Learning in Europe and the Breaking Barriers project with the Directorate for Lifelong Learning within the Ministry for Education and Employment.
Dominik Kubas (PL) – provides counselling for adults and coordinates domestic projects. He works with Diende on various activities.
Agnieszka Stawiszynska (PL) – has been involved with various non-profit- organisations and cooperates with Diende on various activities.
Vera Hutchinson (UK) - provides continuous assessment and consultations on the English language. Organiser of the University of London, Institute of Education job shadowing.
Organisations providing job shadowing:
- East London Advanced Technology Training (ELATT). Multi-award winning skills and employment training with over 30 years experience.
- Barking and Dagenham College – a further education college. The college offers quality technical and professional training that support a learner’s path to university, work, or to their next step in their career.
- Morley College – an adult education college. Morley is best known for music and the visual arts, with over 13,000 students studying each year. They are also part of what is known as a special designated institution.
- Westminster Kingsway College – an independent further education college. People have an opportunity to follow a vocational education route. Adults may also return to these colleges to continue learning and studying.
Breaking Barriers includes the participation of 8 organisations from 8 different European countries with a track record in adult education and who are share a vision of innovative approaches to adult learning. The project targets adult teachers/ educators/trainers/ as well as researchers and administrators. It includes 6 exchanges in job shadowing and an estimate of 56 exchanges for in-service training. The below are the organisations involved;
- Directorate for Lifelong Learning and Early School Leavers, Malta
- Vox, Nasjonalt fagorgan for kompetansepolitikk - Norway
- Friesland College Stichting voor Algemeen Voortgezet Onderwijs, Beroepsonderwijs en Volwasseneneducatie - Netherlands
- Institute of education, University of London - United Kingdom
- AIM - Agenzia Intercultura e Mobilità - Italy
- Sydesmos Ekpedefsis enilikon Kyprou - Cyprus
- Deinde Sp. z o.o. - Poland
- Association Alliance for Development of Adult Education and Lifelong Learning - Macedonia