Polyglot Gathering - the biggest of its kind this year in Poland!
Polyglot Gathering is a non-formal event connecting polyglots (people capable of speaking multiple languages) and language lovers from all over the world. It is a five-day event packed with lectures, workshops and social activities for everyone who likes languages! The event takes place only once a year. Up to now it has taken place 3x in Berlin, 3x in Bratislava and in 2020 it is going to be organised in the Polish town of Teresin.
Year by year the event gains favour with more and more participants. In the last year it has attracted to the Slovak capital of Bratislava 654 people from 65 countries (even from USA, China or New Zealand). The participants of the event are united by their common passion - foreign languages. While most of the planet’s population struggles with learning one or two foreign languages on a high level (not taking into consideration people living in countries with more official languages), polyglots speak tens of them. Moreover, they have learned most of them as self-learners. You are reading it right. People are capable of acquiring tens of foreign languages by themselves. No need for special talent (of course it is an advantage), no need for travelling around all year long (the internet provides us with all we need) nor do we have to neglect all other life priorities such as family, friends, work or leisure. It is enough to find an enjoyable way of learning a language. Slovak polyglot Lýdia Machová can definitely give you some tips.
What do the participants even do at the event?
Seeing something once is better than hearing about it a hundred times; therefore, you may check the event’s trailer or lectures on this link. Besides being able to practice most probably the biggest number of languages under one roof (we hold a Slovak record for that as well) and build relationships with others, one may also do the following:
- attend lectures with practical language learning tips and many interesting topics related to languages (mostly in English but also in other languages) and even propose their own;
- share their own tips, ideas and insights in Lightning talks (spontaneous short talks);
- visit practical workshops about less-known languages and other language-learning skills;
- talk to other people in whatever language they share (everyone has a nametag with all the languages they wish to speak);
- hang out in comfy get-together areas in between the talks (including a No-English zone with hammocks, a Board Game zone, Coffee-break zone (with free coffee!) or Sponsors zone;
- enjoy multilingual concerts, take an active part in a cultural evening;
- visit the city and surroundings, spend time in local bookstores and taste the regional cuisine in pubs and restaurants;
- share old language books that one no longer needs;
- share fresh food/beverage snacks from one's country during a culinary festival.
Who is this event for? Why you should consider taking part in it?
It is essential to stress that no certain amount of languages known are needed for your participation. It is important, though, to have the right attitude: if you enjoy learning foreign languages and would like to meet like-minded individuals, the event is just for you. If you believe that learning a foreign language is worth spending your leisure time on and that is what you already are doing, you can meet 500-600 people from all over the world that share the same passion. Polyglot Gathering is the best place for finding new acquaintances you share something with. In case you devote your time to languages as a professional - a teacher, interpreter or translator - then the proactive networking and stratcom with a clear goal to leverage your paradigm shift in language learning and endeavour for thinking out the box without any impact on doing the heavy lifting, attending the Polyglot Gathering may help you to push the envelope and bring a win-win situation.
The program consists of around 150 lectures and workshops, including trips and cultural program. Everyone can find something alluring. Registration, as well as other important information, are to be found using this link.