Validation and motivation for non-formal and informal learning in prison (VALMOPRIS)
The VALMOPRIS project was completed in August 2017. It published a number of resources with the aim to promote learning in prisons and to validate this informal and non-formal learning.
It also aimed to provide a consistent approach for both the delivery of competencies and the measuring of learning outputs.
The project was funded by the Erasmus+ Programme, supported by the European Prison Education Association and included research across 6 partner countries in Europe.
The resources created are published in 6 European languages (English, French, German, Dutch, Romanian and Latvian) and comprise of the following:
- Study and Policy Recommendations: this study compiles primary research on prison learning across 5 countries, involving 90 prisoner learners and more than 30 practitioners. It also covers pre-existing research within prison learning.
- Competence framework & 'Competence-oriented learning implementation contexts': covers a range of prison learning contexts and learning activities piloted across 5 countries and developed from the European Framework of Key Competencies so it is tailored to the needs of prison-based learners from a European perspective.
- Train-the-Trainer Course for validating informal learning in prisons: an online tool with a dedicated e-learning platform, which comes with associated learning materials to enhance your skills and knowledge in the validation of non-formal and informal learning. This resource will help you to get started on competence-based learning activities.
- Practice Guidebook for the validation of informal learning in prisons: provides context, best practice examples and tips for about working effectively with learners and using evaluation methodologies to inspire you.
- Sample certificates can also be found on the VALMOPRIS website.
These resources are currently being promoted through three ongoing European projects focusing on the prison sector, which are coordinated by Euro-CIDES/FR. More information about these ongoing projects:
- education through sport and physical activities in prison READY...GO project (ERASMUS+ KA2);
- education to civic and moral values in prison CITI-VAL project (ERASMUS+ KA2); and
- education in prison to fight radicalisation SERA project (ERASMUS+ KA3).