LEARNING ZONE - new approaches to language courses for migrants and refugees
GUIDEBOOK LEARNING ZONE shares cause for reflection, methodological approaches and pedagogical-educational tools for supporting migrants and refugees integration through second language learning paths. It comes along with a MASSIVE ONLINE COURSE - MOOC!
The Guidebook addresses teachers, trainers, educators, psychologists, volunteers, anyone involved in the support of second language learning, as well as those who provide learning paths for migrants.
The Guidebook is developed on 6 chapters, associated to 6 training modules:
1. DIVERSITY IN THE GROUP OF LEARNERS is dedicated to the diversity that can be found within the group of ‘adult migrant learners’, including specific learning needs.
2. ADULT AND NON-FORMAL EDUCATION is dedicated to 'non-formal' education and its connection to adult education; it explores the role of ‘facilitator' along with learner-centered approaches.
3. FACILITATING A SAFE LEARNING ENVIRONMENT explores how to create a safe learning environment that supports motivation and learning.
4. TACKLING INTERCULTURALITY goes deeply into the concept of 'intercultural learning' and explores several theories for reflection.
5. FACILITATING LANGUAGE LEARNING IN THE IMMERSIVE CONTEXT draws the differences between teaching foreign language and teaching the language of the host society, in an immersive context.
6. BECOMING ACTIVE IN THE COMMUNITY is dedicated to providing suggestions and ideas to facilitators on how learners can get active their new communities, a major source of language development and integration for the migrants and refugees.
Each chapter opens with the learning objectives and ends with questions for reflection. The Guidebook concludes with a short glossary of terms along with a bibliography. It is conceived in a way that enables facilitators to integrate new ideas into their current practice with migrants and it also gives access to other materials available for further learning. Also, at the end of the Guidebook, several practical exercises can be found that can be used in the classroom.
The Guidebook Learning Zone comes along with the Learning Zone MASSIVE OPEN ONLINE COURSE MOOC. Click here to enroll to the MOOC!
The course is completely free and can be accessed at any time during the period between October 22nd and December 10th 2018.
The course contents are in English, with support materials in Italian, French and Spanish, to facilitate broad access and broad participation.
For the realization of the practical tasks of each module the participants will receive 1 Learning Badge. Once all 6 Learning Badges have been acquired, participants will receive a course certificate.