English language provision and language assessment for low-skilled and unemployed migrants
English Language Provision and Language Assessment for Low-Skilled and Unemployed Migrants: Recommendations for Good Practice at NFQ Levels 1-3 in ETBs (Ireland)
The review examines current English for Speakers of Other Languages (ESOL) practice in ETB programmes at National Framework Qualification (NFQ) levels 1-3. It includes Adult Literacy and Back to Education Initiative (BTEI) programmes, with specific emphasis on low skilled and unemployed migrants.
Key areas include:
- A desk based analysis of existing research into English Language policy and provision at both national and international levels.
- An analysis of existing quantitave statistical administrative data.
- A detailed survey of all ETBs, to establish the actual statistical position in relation to ESOL, as well as information on recruitment, assessment, provision, accreditation and staffing.
- A consultation process with ETB stakeholder representatives from all ETBs, as well as other national stakeholders.
- Recommendations for inclusion in national guidelines for ETB ESOL provision.