The Vrijbroekpark is a green oasis of 90 hectares on the outskirts of Mechelen, Belgium, where you can unwind by walking or exercising, by meeting up with people, or simply by enjoying the atmosphere on your own. It’s a place with something for everyone: impressive plant collections, lanes, ponds and creeks, facilities for sports and play, events and workshops… These activities create a wonderful dynamic, ensuring that visitors discover something new every time they visit the park.
Vrijbroekpark wants to go litter-free. Our future vision is the park with ZERO litter. The users are expected to only take reusable packaging to their free-time activities in the park. And if throw away packaging is used, people take it home and recycle it there. In the future there are no waste bins in the park.
1. Exchanging the expertise between partners on litter management in public urban green spaces. Designing and impelenting concrete steps how to incurage the users to take their waste home and do not trash green spaces.
2. Sensibilisation and education of the park users through different actions: campagnes during big events, separate small events, visuals, social media campagnes, etc. Creative, ‘sexy’, urban.
- Adult users of the Vrijbroekpark (as Mechelen is a multi-cultural city, our users are also people of all ages, abilities, cultural and economic backgrounds and religious views) and partner green spaces.
- Staf of Vrijbroekpark and partner organisations (who are daily in touch with users of the park and can contribute as no-litter experts).
- Volunteers of Vrijbroekpark and partner organisations (who can become ambasadors of the project, ‘zero-litter team’).
We are looking for project partners:
- Public urban green spaces in Europe who already have expertese and/or similar ambition to go zero-litter.
- Expert organisations who have experience and interest to work on this project in several European countries by giving training, workshop,…