Times Higher Education Awards 2019 Winners Announced!
Recipients of the Times Higher Education Awards have been announced, with the University of Strathclyde winning University of the Year. The awards recognise universities and their staff for exceptional learning provision, learner support, research, outreach, entrepreneurship and collaborations. Strathclyde was praised for returning to its founding vision of providing ‘useful’ learning and re-establishing Scotland’s traditional industrial base. The university has created a network of collaborative research centres that shares equipment, knowledge and developments with industry. It also took home awards for Widening Participation and delivering the Outreach Initiative of the Year, the latter for providing young people with learning disabilities with an education and work opportunities.
Other winners included Loughborough University, which won multiple awards for Outstanding Entrepreneurial University; Excellence in Registry Services; and Outstanding Marketing/Communications Team and, the University of West London, which took home awards for Outstanding Financial Performance and Business School of the Year. The Lifetime Achievement award was awarded to Dame Athene Donald, a physics professor at Cambridge University and master of one of their colleges, for her efforts to push gender equality in STEM, currently a very hot topic in adult education.
A full list of the winners can be seen below.
- University of Strathclyde – University of the Year; Widening Participation or Outreach Initiative of the Year
- University of Essex – International Collaboration of the Year
- University of Nottingham – Outstanding Contribution to Leadership Development
- University of West London (Claude Littner Business School) – Business School of the Year
- Swansea University – Technological or Digital Innovation of the Year
- Birmingham City University – Research Project of the Year: Arts, Humanities and Social Sciences
- University of Portsmouth – Research Project of the Year: STEM
- Newcastle University – Outstanding Support for Students
- University of Worchester – Outstanding Contribution to the Local Community
- Loughborough University – Outstanding Entrepreneurial University; Excellence in Registry Services; Outstanding Marketing/Communications Team
- Sheffield Hallam University – Outstanding Strategic Planning Team
- Manchester Metropolitan University – Knowledge Exchange/Transfer initiative of the Year
- University of West London – Outstanding Financial Performance
- Harper Adams University – Outstanding Estates Strategy
- University of Kent – Outstanding Library Team
- King’s College London – THE DataPoints Merit Award
- Dame Athene Donald (University of Cambridge) – THE Lifetime Achievement Award
- Tong Sun (City, University of London) – Outstanding Research Supervisor of the Year
- Tom Delahunt (Canterbury Christ Church University) – Most Innovative Teacher of the Year
- Barbara Kunz (The Open University) – Outstanding Technician of the Year
Highly commended institutions:
- De Montfort University – Widening Participation or Outreach Initiative of the Year
- University of Dundee – Research Project of the Year: Arts, Humanities and Social Sciences
- University of Nottingham – Research Project of the Year: STEM; Outstanding Marketing/Communications Team
Highly commended individuals:
- Nicky Milner (University of York) – Outstanding Research Supervisor of the Year
- Sharon Tolaini-Sage (Norwich University of the Arts) -– Most Innovative Teacher of the Year
- Samantha McCormack (Bucks New University) – Outstanding Technician of the Year