The European Sustainable Development Week (ESDW) is an initiative to facilitate the organization of activities that promote sustainable development and make these efforts visible on a common platform. The recently adopted global 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development and its 17 Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) articulates key issues that call for urgent action at all levels and by all stakeholders. The ESDW contributes to this ambitious, universal and transformative agenda by promoting the organization of bottom-up activities that have a thematic link to and support the SDGs. As such, the ESDW aims to raise awareness for the 2030 Agenda in Europe and calls upon local stakeholders to actively engage with sustainable development, in general, and the SDGs, in particular. Activities will be able to be registered and viewed on this website. This will be a tool for organizers to promote their project and attract higher participation. Furthermore, they will gain access to promotion material (logos, posters, banners etc.) on the site, highlighting their participation in a concerted European effort for sustainable development. The ESDW will act as an umbrella for existing national sustainable development weeks in France, Germany, Austria, Hungary and the Czech Republic and will trigger new initiatives, activities and events in EU Member States and other European countries. To encourage inclusiveness and diversity, the registration for organizers is open to all forms of government agencies, research centres, educational institutions, museums, foundations, community organizations, associations, businesses and NGOs, as well as individual citizens, etc. The central criterion for eligibility to take part in the ESDW is that the proposed project / initiative addresses one or more dimensions of sustainable development and is not exclusively profit-oriented. This could include, but is not limited to: conferences, exhibitions, markets, film screenings, community activities, sustainable business initiatives and education projects.
The ESDW is a European-wide initiative to stimulate and make visible activities, projects and events that promote sustainable development and the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs). It will take place this year from 18 September – 08 October, with the core of the Week taking place 20 September – 26 September.
Why register your event?
- You will increase your event’s recognition at the national and European level and spread the word about your unique activity
- The ESDW website serves as a way for you to freely advertise for your event at the national and European level, which can increase the interest in your event so that more people attend
- You can become a part of a large European community of event organizers for initiatives on sustainable development for the good of everyone
- Your event may inspire others from all over Europe by sharing it on the ESDW platform
- You can learn more about the UN’s 17 Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) and how your event can be connected to them
- You will gain access to the usage of the ESDW logos for your event posters, flyers, etc., which will show the link of your event to this European-wide initiative and have your event contribute towards reaching the SDGs
- Once your event has been registered, you will receive an exclusive ESDW seal to use in your event promotion and to signify that you are a part of this movement
Institute for Managing Sustainability
Vienna University of Economics and Business
Welthandelsplatz 1, Building D1
1020 Vienna, Austria