A one-page inquiry-based collaborative exercise to design impact creation measures throughout the different stages of a learning mobility project. The tool was created inspired by different business and HRD canvas models in the context of an international training course targeting project managers and coordinators with the European Voluntary Service.
This can be used across the board with any learning mobility project.
- To identify the different elements of a project and their dynamics
- To create a project plan focused on impact creation
- To check and analyse needs, methods and impact
It can be used an individual exercise to build a project or in partnership-building context to design a common project.
Project-building exercise (step by step):
A) Introduce Creating Impact Canvas Methodology - 30 minutes
1. Presentation of the Canvas Method and elements. Allow time for questions.
2. Prepare Canvas for the workstations with guideline questions that reflect their needs, steps in curriculum building where they can input the material and further develop it.
B) Draw your Impact Canvas - Part 1 - 90 minutes
1. Distribute Canvas blank templates (A3-size) to each team and post-it notes (in yellow) and place an A1- size canvas on each competence table.
2. Ask them to start filling in the Canvas starting from the elements they have brought from their organizations and focusing on the needs they have identified. (50 min).
3. Explain that it is teamwork and that the facilitator will be available to help them out and answer questions.
C) Revise - 40 minutes
1. Invite the teams to discuss the conclusions from the previous sessions within the team in order to identify elements in the Canvas that should be modified:
2. Identify difficult points: Using the Canvas you drew, circle the building blocks where you feel dissatisfied or challenged.
3. Explain that the Canvas work in a dynamic way so before making any changes they should consider the impact on the other elements and proceed accordingly by changing the linked elements.
4. Switch half the team in each table. Newcomers will now act as consultants and help out the team to find solutions.
5. Tell the consultants to go through the guideline questions and add new ones, if necessary about the most challenging building block(s). Write them down and discuss within the table team.
D) Reinvent - 50 minutes
1. Ask the original team members to gather again at their own tables:
2. Explain to them that they need to modify the blocks and evaluate effects.
3. Referring to the team’s responses to the questions, list the modifications they would like to make to your building blocks in the table.
4. Redraw or modify the Canvas: Ask the teams to rewrite the elements they consider necessary on post-it notes (different color) This time, guided by the feedback they received, the new ideas from the “revise your Impact Canvas” activity and their questions.
E) Final presentation by each team and debriefing - 30 minutes