- Communication in the mother tongue;
- Communication in foreign languages;
- Mathematical competence and basic competences in science and technology;
- Digital competence;
- Learning to learn;
- Social and civic competences;
- Sense of initiative and entrepreneurship;
- Cultural awareness and expression.
Syllabus defining the essential subjects and skills; generally taken to include literacy, numeracy, ICT and modern foreign languages. What is deemed essential varies between countries.
The skills needed to live in contemporary society, e.g. listening, speaking, reading, writing, mathematics and ICT.
Similar to ‘basic skills’ or literacy and numeracy, but suggesting a primary focus on education, and a broad curriculum rather than literacy and numeracy as skills.