EcoMode – Towards an eco-innovative approach to tourism
Protecting the environment has been since long one of the leading principles of the European Union. In recent years, the debate about the environmental awareness has become close and sound, given the urgent need of strategies to minimise our impact on this planet, mentioned in the 2030 Sustainable Development Goals Agenda as well.
Eco-innovation and sustainability in this process can play a key role within the hospitality industry, besides educational and training commitment can promote environmental sensitivity across adult citizens.
In this framework, the Erasmus+ “EcoMode-Fostering Eco-innovative Business Models Development in SMEs in Hospitality Industry” project, fits perfectly. The project has been conceived with the aim of promoting training courses on eco-innovative business models, to support SMEs to become part of the sustainable hospitality industry. Six partners are involved in this project, universities and training organisations from Italy, Austria, Turkey, Hungary and Georgia. The main purpose is to identify general conditions on eco-innovative business models for SMEs in the hospitality industry across partner states, and collect existing good practices to develop a standard training course within the countries. The project is primarily addressed to educators to train managers and SMEs, operating in the hospitality industry about eco-innovative business models, but also entrepreneurs and workers.
Here are the results of the EcoMode project:
- good practices collection for eco-innovation in the hospitality industry in all partners languages,
- the competence map, where the competences needed by managers of an eco-innovative company are listed and illustrated.
- training modules, learning material to develop eco-innovative skills within SMEs,
- Open Educational Resources (OER), a platform which collects interactive learning modules,
- a training course methodology, support during the implementation of the EcoMode training courses,
- an EcoMode app and game, a tool to acquire knowledge and develop eco-related activities.
At the moment, partners are creating eight training modules in the various project’s languages; modules aimed at developing professional skills and competences to boost employment within the eco-tourism sector; they are based on an “open innovation” methodology. Partners are also fine tuning the EcoMode app and game, which is available on google play for whoever is interested. All the EcoMode results will be evaluated in the coming months.
All results, more details and information about the project are available on the project website: eco-mode-project.eu and on the EcoMode Facebook page: facebook.com/Ecomodeproject.