The Municipality of Corigliano-Rossano, hereafter CoRo, is a local public body, located in Calabria, South Italy. It is the third biggest city in Calabria, counting 77.000 inhabitants. The city of CoRo was established on 1 April 2018 by the merger of two Municipalities: The Municipality of Corigliano Calabro and the Municipality of Rossano.
CoRo has two historical Centre: Rossano e Corigliano, two modern part of the City, 33 km of coastline and a wonderful and fascinating forest.
The cultural origins of the city are Byzantine-Norman, in fact there are many historical and architectural assets of those eras within the territory.
CoRo has two important cultural attractions: “the Codex purpureus rossanensis” and the “Castello ducale” (ducal Castel).
Codex purpureus rossanensis is an illuminated Greek evangeliary. There are no elements to establish with certainty the dating of the Codex Purpureus, the place in which it was made and the identity of the person who brought it to ancient City of Rossano. Most of the experts, basing themselves on the style of the manuscript, for the dating, agree on a period between the IV and the VI-VII. century. The most substantiated century is the VI. The Codex Purpureus Rossanensis in 2015 has been recognized by Unesco among the excellent property of the world artistic heritage. The codex is kept inside the Diocesan Museum located in the historic center of Rossano
The ducal castle of Corigliano is a castle built in the sixteenth century and today perfectly preserved, located in one of the two historic centers of the city.
The aim of CoRo is to provide better living conditions for citizens, by respecting the environment and social minorities. This aim is to be accomplished through our Sustainable Urban Development Strategy which includes the following key aspects:
- Establishing sustainable buildings, digital communication, support of electric cars, educational programs and campaigns to sensitize about energy saving.
- Incorporating issues such as complains and poverty.
- Including projects concerning the social, economic and professional integration of the communal minority.
- Building of an assisted village, multi-professional management, professional paths and job placement for young people, and disabled shall support the integration of immigrants and social minorities.
- Striving for the increase of the productivity of the industrial sector and the further improvement of the tourism, trading market and agricultural district.
- Improvement and enhancement of the relationship between the historical and modern part of the city, as well as the coast.
- enhance the cultural heritage of the municipal area
- Respecting and protecting the ecological value of the sea and forest and promoting sustainable development
- Support entrepreneurship
- supporting the development of companies, especially companies set up by young people in culture and tourism sectors